The alms box, dated to 1656, is in the church of Saint Michael on the left side, near the triptych realized by Bartolomeo di Andrea Bochi (1439), a Pistoian artist. It is made of iron and pietra serena, which is engraved with an iscription: ''ELEMOSINE/PLANIME/DEL PUR/GATORIO'. These type of works were widespread during XIV and XVI century, in accord to the doctrine of indulgences: a part of the consequences derived from a sin could be cancelled with an offering (oblatio) in favor of the works of Church, reducing the permanence of the souls in Purgatory.
Only available upon reservation
Per informazioni rivolgersi all'Ufficio Informazioni Turistiche oppure all'Ufficio Cultura.
ASK A QUESTION. Ask for more information
View the questions