CERRETO GUIDI /
Culture - Museums - Churches
The origins of the Pieve di San Leonardo are not known, but the structure of the Bell Tower suggests that it was born as a chapel of the Conti Guidi Castle, the family that dominated the surrounding lands from the 11th to the 13th century. The church, originally with a single hall and circular apse, has undergone numerous renovations over time, including the portico that connects it to the Villa. In 1827 the building finally took on its current appearance with three naves. Inside the church there are artworks of considerable value, such as the canvas attributed to Ghirlandaio called 'Madonna Enthroned with the Child between Saints Paul and Leonard', a wooden Crucifix by Giambologna from the 14th century, and the Baptismal Font in glazed terracotta attributed to Giovanni della Robbia. The painted scenes refer to the cycle of the Stories of the Life of St. John the Baptist and must be observed with particular attention, to catch details such as animal and vegetable figures hidden in the seabed.
Sito Web www.parrocchiasanleonardo.it/
ASK A QUESTION. Ask for more information
View the questions