Culture - Museums - Churches
The small church of S. Maria del Castellare was built before 1260 as a chapel dependent on the parish of S. Piero in Campo. Coats of arms and tombstones discovered in the hall of the Company inform us that in 1562 a new one was built in the place where the Chapel of the Crucifix now stands. In 1864 the small temple was partially demolished to give rise to the construction of the current neoclassical style one. In the Church of Castellare, consecrated by Mons. Giovanni Benini, Bishop of Pescia, there are very important works by the painter Antonio Franchi from Pescia and his school.