CERRETO GUIDI /
Culture - Museums - Churches
Although it has been officially dated in 1575, it is thought that this oratory actually dates back to the 14th or 15th century, when many of the small Tuscan towns built parish churches and churches in honor of San Rocco, patron saint of the plague.
The oratory is a sort of religious garrison, built to guard the town before its entry by those who came from Empoli.
San Rocco, always invoked against the plague, watched over and protected the people of Cerreto from the terrible disease.
Inside the oratory there is also a small historical museum dedicated to one of the four districts in which the town was divided: Porta Fiorentina.