CERRETO GUIDI /
Culture - Museums - Churches
The Sanctuary, dedicated to the patron saint of Cerreto Guidi, Santa Liberata, was probably built in 1336 as thanks for the liberation of the city from the troops of Mastino della Scala. Inside there is a fourteen-century fresco, representing the 'Madonna delle Grazie between Saints John the Baptist and Leonardo'. In the seventeenth century the portico, the sacristy and the presbytery were renovated, while the fresco of Santa Liberata was covered by a canvas depicting Santa Faustina and San Pietro. In 1798 the architectural complex took on its current appearance, while the elevation of the building as a Sanctuary dates back to 1966.