The little Piazza del Grano is an ancient place in the heart of the historical centre of Pescia, dating back to the XVI century, when it was turned from an hospital into a convent cloister dedicated to Santa Maria Nuova. The square still retains its structure with arches, an evident trace of its origin. It is located just before the Piazza Grande and is a place of refreshment, center and seat of artistic activities, both artisanal and professional. Its characteristic shape, collected, welcoming, protected and endowed with excellent acoustics makes it one of the points of reference for associations and the natural home of some of the most important events in the area. In 1937 the Municipality of Pescia decided to cover the cloister, now transformed into a square, with a canopy and made it a flower market, production back then that was expanding. In the immediate postwar years, the buildings overlooking the square were used as a school.